To have sore bones, to the muscles and to joints may seem trivial when you have had a shock, a tear, a fracture. But when this evil sets in as a result of infection, or has an immune or metabolic origin, we speak of inflammatory rheumatism, more precisely ofarthritis. It then reaches a joint: this is the monoarthritis and can spread to other joints: this is the polyarthritis. It can affect people of all ages.
But when this inflammation of the bones, joints or muscles affects the the elderly and causes joint swelling followed by severe pain, this is a arthritis.
Rheumatism is then of several types and has various origins, although the manifestations are almost the same.
How do you go about it when this inflammation sets in and makes you practically helpless? Is it possible to relieve yourself by plants ? Overview….
Definition and types of rheumatism
Rheumatism is any condition that affects the joints, bones, muscles and tendons.
They affect both the elderly (arthritis) and younger people (arthritis).
There are therefore two (2) main types of rheumatism:
- inflammatory rheumatism or arthritis which is not linked to aging and affects the feet, knees, hips, but also shoulders and hands. This type of rheumatism can affect all age groups and can cause damage to other organs such as the eyes, the digestive system.
- Degenerative rheumatism, also called arthrosis, is linked to aging. This is a natural degeneration of the cartilage associated with age. This type of rheumatism also affects the knees, hands and hips of older people.
Symptoms of rheumatism
In either case, the rheumatism have generally the same symptoms.
The person with rheumatism notices a swelling of joints and feels vivid pains at the level of these joints especially those of the knees, hips, wrists and hands.
These joints cause the patient to feel stiff when waking up in the morning. This gradually dissipates during the day, as the patient moves. It may happen that pains are also installed in his back and his neck.
Causes and impact on health
The causes rheumatism is diverse.
In the case of inflammatory rheumatism, the genetic ground is very often involved. Usually this kind of inflammation is linked to virus or a infection which then attacks the joints. Example: septic arthritis. On the other hand, when inflammatory rheumatism occurs as a result of an accumulation of crystals in the joints, excess uric acid then causes metabolic dysfunction. The immediate consequences are inflammation of the knees (the drop) or another form of inflammatory rheumatism: chondrocalcinosis.
At the same time, osteoarthritis has no specific causes because it occurs with age. At an advanced level deformities of the joints can occur.
Plants to relieve or treat rheumatism
To relieve rheumatism, there are plants with many virtues.
From their anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving properties, they contain effective substances to fight rheumatism.
- Harpagophytum is a plant that soothes pain.
- The turmeric has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effects on people with rheumatism, specifically osteoarthritis.
- The meadowsweet flower, calms pain thanks to methyl salicylate, which according to phytotherapy professionals, acts on rheumatic pain as soon as it oxidizes in the body.
- The blackcurrant leaves facilitate the elimination of toxins and uric acid. They therefore have a diuretic effect in addition to anti-inflammatory and anti-degenerative effects.
- The bark of white willow in infusion calms rheumatic pain and reduces inflammation.
- The Canada fleabane is a plant with diuretic and anti-inflammatory properties. Taken as an infusion, it is effective in the treatment of all types of rheumatism: arthritis and arthritis. It also relieves pain.
- The ashis a plant that is high in potassium salts and mannitol which help eliminate uric acid. In infusion, it promotes drainage and the elimination of toxins responsible for inflammation of the joints.
Dosage for effective results
To benefit from the virtues of most of these plants, it is recommended to do them infuse or take them as capsules. It is sometimes possible to use them in poultice on the affected parts.
- Harpagophytum is a plant taken in capsule form 2 to 4 capsules per day with meals for 3 weeks.
- The dosage is the same for turmeric: 2 to 4 capsules per day with meals for 3 weeks.
- As for the meadowsweet flower, it is recommended to take 2 to 4 capsules during meals on an ad hoc basis or at the time of pain, for 1 week.
- Blackcurrant leaves, they are effective in infusion and in the form of a compress.
- In infusion: After having picked the leaves, dry them in the oven at 50 ° C. Then infuse 2 tbsp. of these dried leaves in ¼ L of water for 10 minutes. Drink 2 cups of it every day before each of your meals. The cure will last 3 weeks. Be sure to store the dried leaves in a dry place to retain all of their qualities.
- As a compress: collect the leaves that were used to make the infusion and apply them to the painful areas. Maintain them with a clean cloth.
- The infusion of white willow bark has an anti-inflammatory effect. Put 1 tbsp. of white willow bark in a cup. Pour in boiling water and let steep for 10 minutes. Filter the preparation and drink 3 to 4 cups a day with meals. The treatment will last for 1 week.
- For the Canada fleabane, infuse 1 tbsp. of the dried leaves of this plant in a cup of boiling water for 10 min. Drink 2-3 cups between main meals each day. Follow this cure for 3 weeks.
- Ash: prepare an infusion of it. It restores flexibility to the joints by increasing the body's elimination capacity.
For pregnant and breastfeeding women, people suffering from peptic ulcers, diabetes, ... the intake of certain products and / or preparations may be contraindicated. For more information, please contact a healthcare professional.